Friday, June 29, 2012

The Lost Emotions of Monogamy and How It Relates to Art

The act of staying in a monogamous relationship cuts you off from some of the most intense emotions that humans can feel.  The emotions of falling in love and breaking up inspire works of art in many mediums.  I've often wondered in the past how songwriters who are in long term monogamous relationships maintain the ability to write vivid songs about these life events when they are no longer allowed to experience them.  I had lost touch with these feelings.  I remembered them, but not enough to write about them with any clarity or accuracy.

I truly didn't understand how long time married artists like Jeff Tweedy could write songs like this:

(Okay, now I think this song is about recovering from an infidelity.  OMG, Jeff, if you are poly, please sleep with me!)

and this more recent one:

(This one is more believably about a LTR, but it feels like a new relationship.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my newly evolving pictures of relationships are leading me to interpret songs and lyrics differently than I have in the past.  At least I have one possible explanation for how artists stay in touch with those emotions.

I'm also trying to say that Jeff Tweedy of Wilco has a free pass to sleep with me at any time of his choosing.  Especially when he does adorable things like this:



WHOA!  In logging onto Wilco's website to obtain that link, I just happened to find a show date near me.  It also just so happened that the presale for that show was going on right now.  It also happened that tickets were available.  Secret-poly-blog WIN!  If I hadn't been blogging about how much I want to sleep with Jeff Tweedy and how much I love Wilco's music, I wouldn't have found out about the show in time to get tickets.  YAHOO!



2 comments:

  1. He is a true poet (and has a complete free pass to my pussy as well)!!

    ReplyDelete

Remember that even anonymous bloggers are real people and be kind. Trolls will not be tolerated. If you're going to be judgmental or homophobic, shove off.