Saturday, February 11, 2012

Heteroflexible?

An interesting side effect of our polyamory discussions is that I am now free to consider sexual experiences with other people in a way that my brain wouldn't allow me to before.  This has forced me to consider things that I have not thought about since high school.

Back then, I realized I was sexually attracted to girls.  I even told people.  I told my mom I was bisexual! Which was not a good idea, but I didn't know how homophobic she was at the time.   I told my group of guy friends in my music class which girls I thought were hot.  Then I got in a long term relationship with a guy that lasted for 3 1/2 years.  When we broke up I dated other guys until my friendship with my now husband opened up romantically.  I had written off my "bisexual phase" as a byproduct of teenage hormones and never spoke of it again.  I was a little embarrassed about it.  I still appreciated attractive women, but I did not get any sort of sexual response looking at girls.

A combination of the fact that other people are available to me sexually and being off hormonal birth control (something else I will write about my experiences with) has made me feel like a teenager again in a lot of ways.  There's probably also the aspect of my age, 28, and becoming less inhibited that is to blame as well.   One of the effects is a raging crush on a girl I see on a regular basis.  She can fucking dance.  She's adorable and funny and makes Monty Python references.  She has a boyfriend.  This has forced me to reexamine a lot of things.  I e-mailed my best gay friend and came clean.  His response: "I TOLD YOU IT WAS CONTAGIOUS!" and total support, of course. 

I don't know what this means or how far I'd want to go with a girl.  I can't really picture myself eating pussy but as my husband points out, I have "read the book".  The book is She Comes First by Ian Kerner and it can change your life.  There was a time in my life that I couldn't picture myself sucking a dick either and that time is long gone.  For now, I will consider myself heteroflexible and take comfort in Dan Savage's insistence that it is normal for women to have a more fluid sexual orientation that changes throughout a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that even anonymous bloggers are real people and be kind. Trolls will not be tolerated. If you're going to be judgmental or homophobic, shove off.