Friday, March 23, 2012

The Need for Sex Positive Medical Professionals is Serious

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/03/22/149157619/what-your-gynecologist-doesnt-know-about-your-sex-life-but-really-should?sc=fb&cc=fp

^^^^ Read that ^^^^ 

It's about how doctors aren't comfortable talking about sex with their patients.  "Yet one-quarter of the doctors say they had expressed disapproval of their patients' sexual practices." Awesome.  Doctors slut shaming.  Not surprising though, considering how I've heard nurses talk about patients.  The slut shaming I received from a doctor who made me cry on two different occasions as a single-partner sexually active teenager should have prepared me for that statistic as well.

There is clearly room to do better, folks.   I'll consider this inspiration.  I'll try to think about this while I'm sitting in my boring boring BSN classes and thinking about going on for my MSN and becoming a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner.  I see the need.  I can be your friendly neighborhood sex-positive NP.  How many more years of school?  Ew.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember that even anonymous bloggers are real people and be kind. Trolls will not be tolerated. If you're going to be judgmental or homophobic, shove off.